Friday, May 9, 2008

Does Jethro Tull Sing Country?

Tonight at work I had an interesting conversation with a young lady. It is widely known at work that I am a more than "casual" Jethro Tull fan. Jethro Tull came up in the conversation (no, I did not bring it up) and the young lady asked me what songs Jethro Tull sings. I started off with the usuals, Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, Bungle in the Jungle, Thick as a Brick but none of these seemed to ring a bell for her. She then asked if Jethro Tull sings Country. I was very much taken aback. I did not think that Aqualung sounded like it might be the title track to a Country album. To answer her question however, I showed her the back of my Warchild T-shirt (I happened to be wearing it at the time) and asked if it looked like Jethro Tull sings Country. She was forced to answer, "No."

Despite the fact that Jethro Tull does not sing Country (although Truck Stop Runner does have a nice twang to it), it is hard to define what type of music they play. To be safe, Jethro Tull should have its own category. It is Jethro Tull. I guess you just don't understand until you've experienced it.

5 comments:

Brick said...

That is a funny story Slip. Keep up the good wit.

Brick said...

Witty and satirical.

Anonymous said...

Nice, Jakob. I can't believe I'm actually reading this. About myself.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jakob said...

Stick around "Anonymous" Tull is very catchy... you might find yourself enjoying it. Anyway, no hard feelings and see you later.