Monday, May 5, 2008

Discovering Tull: Part I

As far as Tull fans go, I am a mere "wee lad in short trousers." At the rightful age of 24, I am currently attending college, trying for find a wife, and "blethering with the best" of Tull fans. How did it happen? This is my Tull story: this is how I discovered Jethro Tull.

I suppose it all started at Christmas when I was nearly 14. I received a portable cassette player from one of my cousins. Somewhat disappointed at the gift anyway (I had really needed a new CD player), my father tried to console me by giving me some tapes to listen to. Before this point, music was not a big part of my life. One of the tapes my father pulled out of his collection was, Warchild. Anyone else remember the green tape? My father said that the music on the tape was interesting, involving a crazy guy with a flute, heavy at times, and worth listening to. I was not sure what to expect when I popped it in and was greeted by the air-raid sirens and "Another cup of tea, dear?" The more I listened, the more I liked the album. It was very much different from anything I had listened to before. I would listen to it as I read Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber, which was also very influential in my tender youth. Tracks that blew me away were: Back Door Angels, Sealion, Bungle in the Jungle, and of course Skating Away. I listened to the tape until it wore out and then promised myself that I would buy it on CD.

Many years passed without Jethro Tull. I never had enough money to buy Warchild. Eventually, I did buy the album on CD but not until I was 21. I was elated at the new bonus tracks (I know that it is a touchy subject...) and was impressed with the softer side of Tull found in Warchild Waltz. I wanted to branch out and discover more about this band, whose one album had meant so much to in my childhood.
I started my journey to discover the large world of Tull. I had no idea that it would become such a part of my life. In honor of the album that started it all for me, Warchild hangs on my wall to remind me that every journey has a beginning. Mine had begun.

To be continued....

Do you have a Jethro Tull story you would like to share? Play Minstrel Play is always looking for new authors that have something to say about Tull. To become an author, talk to or leave a message for Slipperyjim on Tullchat. Ideas for Play Minstrel Play are also welcome. Help make Play Minstrel Play the #1 blog for Tull fans!

No comments: